Finding the Perfect School Starts With You
Researching and applying to colleges may seem intimidating if you don’t know where to start. However, with some proper guidance and the right resources, this process can be easy. Here are some things to consider.
The first step in finding the best career for you is to learn about yourself and to determine what type of interests and skills you have. As you search for the right career, there are many tools and resources available to help you. Make an appointment with your local career counselor or start by visiting the resources listed below.
- California Community Colleges (Career Education) – Explore Careers
- Employment Development Department - Self-Assessment for Career Exploration
- Federal Student Aid – Career Search
Once you get an idea of your career goals, the next step is to find out what you need to do to achieve them. Think carefully about what you want from your college experience, so that you can choose the right school that will allow you to fulfill your potential.
Discover Your Educational Style
There are plenty of variables to consider when researching a school. Are you interested in enrolling in a private college? Do you prefer a classroom setting, hands-on environment, or online courses? A college search tool can help you narrow down your choices based on your personal interests and needs.
- Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education - Which School Is Right?
- CaliforniaCollege.Edu – College Search Tool
- California Community Colleges (Career Education) – College Locator
- National Center for Education Statistics – College Navigator
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief – What To Consider When Selecting a College
Enrolling in a Private College in California
The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education regulates California’s private colleges. School statuses, performance reports, disciplinary actions, and compliance results are available online to use when researching California private colleges.
- Approved Institutions Information Page
- Directory of Approved Institutions
- School Catalogs and Performance Fact Sheets
- School Compliance Inspection Results
- Disciplinary Actions
- Tips For Students to Consider Before Enrolling at a Private Postsecondary School
Paying For College
Paying for college can be the most difficult part of getting an education. Fortunately, there are many programs available to help you afford your schooling. When looking to pay for college, you should consider grants, scholarships, work-study opportunities, and as a last resort, student loans to help finance your education.
- Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education – Paying for College
- California Student Aid Commission – Financial Aid Programs
- Federal Student Aid - Federal Versus Private Loans
- Federal Student Aid – Types of Aid: Loans
- California Community Colleges Career Education
- California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office
- California Department of Veterans Affairs
- California Student Aid Commission
- Student and Exchange Visitor Program
- Student and Exchange Visitor Program Certified School Directory
Office of Student Assistance and Relief Flyer
Please direct any questions for the OSAR to (888) 370-7589, Option #5 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.