Student Assistance

How Can OSAR Help Me?

The Office of Student Assistance and Relief (OSAR) provides individualized assistance to California residents selecting a private college, and it counsels California students as they navigate their financial and academic future following the closure or unlawful activities of the private college they attended. OSAR also helps students identify, obtain, complete, and submit financial relief documents.

What Should I Do If My School is Closing or Has Closed?

Although there are many benefits to attending private colleges, students should be aware of the potential risks.

A school closure can be an experience filled with a lot of uncertainty, which can lead to a lot of stress and confusion on what to do next. It is important to know what to do if your school is closing or has closed. Here is a guide and some resources to help you understand your rights as a California student:

Frequently Asked Questions

Submit a Complaint

If you would like to file a complaint against a California private college, please submit the complaint to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education - Complaint Form

Additional Resources

Please direct any questions for the OSAR to (888) 370-7589, Option #5 or email us at